Reflection on play development
Play Development from 5–8 Years
This week's lesson focused on the developmental characteristics of children aged 5–8 years and how play supports their growth. I learned that children in this age group become more independent, curious, physically active, and socially engaged. They enjoy cooperative play, develop friendships, and begin expressing their thoughts and feelings more effectively.
One important insight I gained was that play contributes to all areas of development—physical, social, intellectual, and emotional. Through activities such as running, building, role-playing, creating, and exploring, children develop important life skills while having fun. This reinforced my understanding that learning should be active and engaging rather than limited to classroom instruction.
I was particularly interested in the different stages and types of play. Learning about cooperative play, symbolic play, constructive play, dramatic play, and games with rules helped me understand how children's play becomes more complex as they grow. These stages provide valuable guidance for planning age-appropriate activities.
The concept of Loose Parts Play was also inspiring. I realized that meaningful learning does not always require expensive materials. Simple objects such as sticks, stones, leaves, bottle caps, and cardboard can encourage creativity, problem-solving, and imagination. As a future teacher, I hope to create learning environments where children can freely explore, experiment, and express themselves.
Overall, this lesson showed me that play is one of the most effective ways for children to learn. It promotes creativity, confidence, collaboration, and curiosity, which are essential skills for lifelong learning.
Key Learning: Play is a powerful tool that supports children's holistic development and helps them become confident, creative, and independent learners.


Comments
Post a Comment